Call for Papers: Beauty Demands Workshop 3
The Globalisation of Beauty
University of Birmingham, Department of Philosophy and School of Law
14th -15th October
Confirmed speakers for this workshop include:
· Andrew Edgar, 'Professional sport and the marketing of body image'? (Reader in Philosophy, Cardiff University)
· Alexander Edmonds ‘The globalisation of plastic surgery’ (Professor of Social and Medical Anthropology, University of Edinburgh)
· Jeanette Edwards, ‘Beauty as an ethical project’ (Professor of Anthropology, University of Manchester)
· Rosalind Gill, ‘Aesthetic Entrepreneurship: the politics of beauty in postfeminist and neoliberal times’ (Professor of Cultural and Social Analysis, City University London)
· Danielle Griffiths and Alexandra Mullock, ‘Cosmetic surgery tourism: Risks and regulation in a global beauty market’(Research Fellow interdisciplinary Bioethics and Law and Lecturer in Law, University of Manchester)
· Viren Swami, ‘Are we all thin enough yet? The globalisation of the thin ideal and the homogenisation of beauty’ (Reader in Psychology, University of Westminster)
· Shirley Tate, ‘The performativity of black beauty shame in Jamaica and its diaspora’
(Associate Professor in Sociology and Social Policy, University of Leeds)
Join the Network
We would like to encourage anyone interested in this area to join the BeautyDemands network. Our aim is to promote cross-disciplinary academic engagement in public and policy debate on topical beauty issues. We do this by hosting four workshops, but also by promoting virtual discussion via Twitter (@beautydemands, #beautydemands) and the BeautyDemands blog. To express your interest in joining the network and writing a blog, please contact Jan Kandiyali.
Please note, while many of those in the network take a particular stand on beauty issues, the network aims to facilitate open and respectful debate and discussion. It aims to welcome those with all views and to encourage exchange of views and does not endorse one single perspective.